how to file separation in texas


In Texas, legal separation is not formally recognized as a distinct legal status. Instead, couples who wish to separate often pursue a “divorce from bed and board,” which is similar to a legal separation in other states. This allows couples to live apart while addressing issues such as property division, spousal support, and child custody through a court order. Here’s a general guide on how to pursue a “divorce from bed and board” or separation in Texas:

1. Consider Mediation or Counseling:

  • Before proceeding with separation or divorce, it may be helpful for you and your spouse to consider mediation or marriage counseling to explore the possibility of reconciliation or addressing marital issues.

2. Consult with an Attorney:

  • It’s advisable to consult with an attorney who specializes in family law in Texas. An attorney can provide legal guidance, explain your rights, and help you navigate the legal process effectively.

3. Gather Necessary Information and Documents:

  • Collect relevant information and documents, including financial records, property deeds, and any other documents that may be relevant to property division and spousal support.

4. File for a Suit Affecting the Parent-Child Relationship (SAPCR):

  • If you have children, file a Suit Affecting the Parent-Child Relationship (SAPCR) in the family court of the county where you or your spouse currently reside. This suit can address issues related to child custody, visitation, and child support.

5. Draft a Property Settlement Agreement:

  • Work with your attorney to draft a property settlement agreement or marital settlement agreement. This document should outline the terms of your separation, including property division and spousal support, if applicable.

6. Attend Court Hearings:

  • Be prepared to attend court hearings related to your SAPCR and property settlement. During these hearings, the court will consider factors such as child custody arrangements and the fairness of property division.

7. Provide Evidence and Testimony:

  • Present evidence and testimony that support the terms of your property settlement agreement and demonstrate that the arrangement is in the best interests of both parties and any children involved.

8. Obtain Court Orders:

  • If the court approves the property settlement agreement and the SAPCR arrangements, it will issue court orders formalizing the separation, property division, and child-related matters.

9. Comply with Court Orders: – Both spouses must adhere to the terms of the court’s orders regarding property division, child custody, visitation, and child support.

10. Consult with Legal Counsel Throughout the Process: – Maintain open communication with your attorney throughout the separation process. Your attorney will help you understand the legal requirements and represent your interests in court.

It’s important to note that while Texas does not have a legal separation process, a “divorce from bed and board” essentially accomplishes the same goal by formalizing the terms of separation through court orders. The process can be complex, and the outcome will depend on the specific facts and circumstances of your case. An experienced family law attorney can provide valuable guidance and legal representation to help you navigate the process and protect your rights and interests.

Leave a Reply